10 February 2006

From the grotto

I was going to go on for some length aboot the Carnival Grotesque (which, according to some dude who deserves proper citation, is the slipperiest of aesthetics). It is in my mind because I have to write a paper aboot it. As it turns out, I'm going to dash of and get some food for me and café for a couple of Mel's, and watch some old Lost eps. So this is all you get on that slippery of aesthetics: some dude, who may or may not be the previously mentioned dude (I might edit in the scholars' names later), thinks that the grotesque is best defined by the emotional reaction it elicits (leading to shifting characterizations of the same artistic works as audiences change). If a work evokes laughter, astonishment and either disgust or horror--you got the grotesque. So, anyway, who thinks that Keith Schofield's video for The Notwist's "One With the Freaks" qualifies? Oh, I almost forgot to mention, the grotesque characteristically mixes people, animals and plants. So the anthropomorphicization of the jellyfish protagonist and the monstrous palm tree are right in line. Speaking of music video director Schofield, I just today saw his new video ("When I Wake Up"), and you should to, because it is tres cool.

Other news:
We are well into day four of the Fr3sh affair. That's right, the car alarm is still going off. Also, I picked up some new batteries for the camera, so maybe you'll get some pictures again.