21 January 2006

On a dark and dusty highway / East of Omaha

I just got back from a three day trip up to Albany. Good times. No good pictures. My reading list to follow:

1) The Shroud of the Thwacker: a novel by Chris Elliot. Jackpot. Bumped Brinkley.

2) Brinkley's Beat: People, Places and Events that Shaped My Time by David Brinkley. Definately worth the $1 I spent on it; Brinkley, you old sentamentalist! Wry, indeed.

3) The Aventures of Kavalier & Clay by Michael Chabon. I gave this recent Pulitzer Prize winner to my Dad for Chrimmastime and he has generously lent it to me.

4) The Great Transformation: The Political and Economic Origins of Our Time by Karl Polanyi. Great for falling asleep to.

5) The Gentle Art of Making Enemies by James Abbot McNeill Whistler. Letters by, and papers about, the bellicose artist.

6) Getting Things Done: The Art of Stress Free Productivity by David Allen. I stopped reading this book one third of the way through. Ha ha.

7) Herland by Charlotte Perkins Gilman. Class reading I never finished. Stephanie says it's good. Labeled "unabridged" to take some of the sting out of the intimidating 124-page length.

8) Gödel, Escher, Bach: an Eternal Golden Braid by Douglas R. Hofstadter. I've been meaning to reread this for what must be at least fifteen years. I'm pretty sure I didn't understand most of it as a child.